In my last article, I addressed how Pennsylvania licensees can begin to build a strong foundation for a successful dispensary opening. This included: assembling a team, branding, real estate, and security.
Once the essential building blocks are in place, then the operational details need to be solidified.
A well-trained and knowledgeable staff often goes hand in hand with dispensary success.
- Start outlining what you are looking for in a staff member before hiring.
- Consider working with a cannabis-focused recruiting agency to ensure you have experienced staff.
- Create a training program. Your team needs to be able to assist potential patients, advise on proper dosing, recommend products, and understand treatment options for qualifying conditions.
- RAISE AWARENESS
In the last three months before opening, it is imperative to start spreading the word and raising awareness.
- Launch your website and social media platforms. Make sure your brand messaging is clear and concise.
- Attend industry events to build credibility and network. Promote educational events for your community, physicians, and patients.
- Implement public relations and marketing strategies and talk to the media only if you have Key Messaging in place.
- INVENTORY MANAGEMENT
It is essential to have the right product mix for your patient base, as well as partnerships that align with your brand.
- Begin networking with cultivators and find the right suppliers to meet your dispensary needs.
- Research market products and find the right mix and balance of diversity and quality.
- Ask the tough questions. What is the shelf life of products? How should products be stored? What products/strains are most popular? What display options are available?
- POLICY & PROCEDURES
Your company policies and procedures are not to be thrown in the drawer after your initial inspection. These are supposed to work for you.
- Ensure that you continually update and evolve these documents to meet new rules, regulations, and company expansion.
- Conduct employee evaluations to make sure staff members are following these policies.
- Review all company documents on a regular basis to see how day to day operations can be improved.
- GRAND OPENING
A well-planned dispensary grand opening is a vital part of your marketing agenda and will set the pace for brand visibility and coverage.
- Consider whether or not to have a soft opening before an official opening in order to make sure operations run smoothly and efficiently. Plan for extra staff, security guards, and additional parking.
- Work with a public relations advisor to make sure you have an announcement in place and know how to handle the media.
- Build a media list of who you want to be there, as well as a VIP list of community leaders and connections.
Licensees looking for assistance or a detailed Application Review may email [email protected].
Those interested in applying for a Dispensary License in the second round may schedule a complimentary consultation by emailing [email protected].
To learn more about Dispensary Permits, click here.